The University of Chester is a public university located in Chester. The university started as the UK’s first institution specifically designed for teacher training. It now has five campus locations in the Chester area including; Warrington, and a University Centre in Shrewsbury. It conducts academic research and offers a variety of foundational, undergraduate, and graduate courses.
In the Complete University Guide for 2023, Chester has moved up 12 places in the last year, now being ranked as 60th in the UK. The university was praised for its best practices in ensuring standards and enhancing the quality of learning opportunities by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA). Chester’s strong standards for teaching and learning were recognised with a silver status from the UK Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
Chester has just under 15,000 students with international students coming from 140 different countries around the world, they are a perfect choice for an international student and this is backed up with them ranking 6th in International in the ‘What Uni? Student Choice Awards 2022’.
The institution is divided into seven academic faculties, many of these have academic departments within them, these include:
Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- History and Archaeology
- Institute of Gender Studies
- Languages and Cultures
- Theology and Religious Studies
- Art and Design
- Music, Media and Performance
- Geography and International Development
- Institute of Policing
- Social and Political Science
Chester Business School
- Centre for Professional & Economic Development
- Chester Business School
- Work Based Learning
Faculty of Medicine and Life Sciences
- Chester Medical School
- Clinical Sciences and Nutrition
- Sport and Exercise Sciences
Faculty of Science and Engineering
- Biological Sciences
- Centre for Research into Environmental Science and Technology (CREST)
- Computer Science
- New Technology Initiative (NTI)
- Physical, Mathematical and Engineering Sciences
- The Informatics Centre
- STEM outreach
Faculty of Education and Children’s Services
- This Faculty holds all the teacher training and education courses for undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Also holds a broad range of CPD provision for teachers, partnerships, and community work and research.
Faculty of Health and Social Care
- This faculty is a major provider of health and social work programmes across Cheshire, Wirral and Warrington.